Workout of the Week by Coach Dr. Rebekah Donley, PT, DPT, CPI
Pilates Spinal Warm Up –
Over the Summer, Wright Training in Victor successfully added a Mat Pilates portion to the Friday 7am Base Fitness class.
Joseph Pilates originally called his work “Contrology.” He considered this to be a body/mind/spirit approach to movement founded on the integrative effect of principles such as:
With these principles in mind, Coach Rebekah has been incorporating a customized Mat Pilates workout to supplement the Strength & Work Capacity programming of Wright Training. Try this spinal workout at home to check in on your control, breath and precision of spinal movement:
10 to 1 reps:
- Standing roll downs – breath in & lift arms overhead, breath out & initiate roll down from chin tuck, then thoracic spine, finally lumbar
- Pelvic tilts – lying on your back, knees bent; breath out to tilt pelvis towards your nose (only use abs vs gluts), inhale to release pelvis & tilt towards your toes (only using lumbar paraspinals, not thoracic)
- Roll up bridge – breath out to initiate the pelvic tilt & use gluts to continue rolling bridge up through the thoracic spine, reaching a peak of knees/hip joints/shoulders in a line; Quick breath in at the top & reverse the roll down during your exhalation
- Seated roll downs – sitting tall on your sit bones, keep feet planted & hold arms in front at shoulder height. Breathing out, initiate roll down with a pelvic tilt & continue a slow lowering until you’re lying flat on the mat with arms overhead. Breath in, on your exhalation initiate the roll up to sitting with lowering your arms & tucking your chin, maintaining a slow controlled roll (no kinks in the spinal chain).
- Roll like a ball – start curled up, with a rounded lower back, as in the picture below. After bringing your feet off the mat, exhale to initiate a slow, smooth roll backwards & roll back up to balance on your sit bones. Inhale, try again!
This warmup will prime you for the Deck Squat!
- Stand with your feet no wider than shoulder with apart and toes pointed straight.
- Sink down into a deep squat until your glutes are close to the ground.
- Roll back, off of your feet, onto your spine (like the warmup!) until your feet go past your head.
- Roll back forward onto your feet and stand up out of the squat.
Have questions about this workout or Pilates in general, reach out to Coach Rebekah. Want to try private Rehabilitative Pilates, call Victor PT & Pilates #208-270-7242 located alongside the Wright Training Victor gym.