Workout of the Week Sept. 24th
With Ski Fitness classes in full swing, it is a fun time of year for us trainers as we get to see big gains from our clients throughout the 8 week progression. However, for those of us who like to strength train more than twice a week, Ski Fitness presents a challenge as our legs become quite fatigued from the core of the programming which includes plenty of lunging, squatting, jump lunging, jump squatting, and did I say squatting?
This week’s WOW is designed to complement ski fitness programming by including some total body power movements, an upper body strength set, and light load posterior chain work. This program is based on the three strength movements below which are complemented in each set with an explosive strength movement.
1. Power Clean: The power clean is an explosive movement that engages the entire body, from the toes to the fingers. Because of their explosive nature and widespread muscle recruitment, cleans are one of the best exercises to increase power, speed, and fitness.
2. Barbell Rows: Barbell rows are a great movement for building and strengthening the muscles of the upper back, particularly your rhomboids and lats. BB rows also recruit muscles from the lower back, core, and arms. A strong upper body is crucial to all of our mountain activities and contribute to our injury prevention strategies.
3. Landmine Single Leg Deadlift: The single leg deadlift strengthens the posterior chain, specifically the hamstrings and glute muscles. Using the landmine equipment allows athletes to add a heavier load to this exercise than they could with a kettle bell or dumbbell. The landmine also encourages more core stability through a focus on the obliques and also challenges grip strength as you hold the fat end of the barbell.
Kettle Bell Complex:
– One minute single arm swing (right)
– One minute Halo (right)
– One minute front to back lunge (right)
– One minute Figure 8
4x Power cleans
10x KB swings
Standing figure 4 stretch
6x Barbell rows
4x Burpee over the barbell
3x PVC Pull through
5x Single Leg Landmine Deadlift (each leg)
10x Side Hippity Hops
10x Front Hippity Hops
5 Minutes: Every minute on the minute do 10 sit-ups and finish the minute with the 2nd exercise
10 sit-ups/Flutter kicks
10 Sit-ups/Boat hold