1. I started at WT (in Jackson) in 2015. We moved to Victor in 2017, so I started at the Victor gym as soon as it opened, conveniently just down the street. It took me a long time to convince Sam ( my Husband) to go, but he almost immediately surpassed me in all things gym (maybe even including enthusiasm and consistency!) once he started going.
2. I first started with the Bike Fit series wanting to prepare for mountain biking season. I’m not going to lie, it was a little intimidating, because the gym and weight training world were all new to me. I thought I was in decent ‘mountain town’ shape, but Crystal will confirm that I literally had to lay on the floor to keep from passing out at my very first gym session. But I kept going!
3. I didn’t initially think I would continue to go to the gym after Bike Fit, but I enjoyed seeing my progress, the consistency of a routine and feeling stronger. I love a challenge, so it was nice to have a space that wasn’t dependent on the weather or conditions where I could push myself. What really kept me coming back was seeing that work in the gym translate into my activities in the mountains and how I was feeling on the whole. I felt healthier and happier, and had more stamina and strength.
4. Having a consistent gym routine has vastly improved my confidence and mental health over the past 6+ years. I feel strong and at home in my body. Gaining that confidence in the gym gave me the confidence to try other new things, like triathlons and hockey. I also love knowing that no matter what else is going on in my week, I will get some exercise at the gym. That consistent exercise (combined with outdoor activities) keeps me sane.
5. People sometimes ask why I go to the gym when I am so active in the outdoors – isn’t that enough exercise? To that I usually say that I like to diversify what my body is doing, and it’s a great way to maintain my fitness throughout the year. The gym supports my outdoor activities and my outdoor activities support me in the gym. I also like the flexibility to get a quick workout in a couple of times a week without it being a full adventure!
1. When did you first start with WT
In 2020 when the Victor gym opened
2. Why did you first start
Laken had been trying to get me to go forever. I was finally able to make it work once the gym was so conveniently located. I was out of balance, and I knew my muscles weren’t developed in a well rounded way.
3. Why you keep at it
I’ve seen the results, and it makes all my activities enjoyable and not feel like work.
4. How its helped your life
It’s really helped my life by providing structure and endorphins but mostly makes all the fun things I do more fun.
5. Anything else you might want to say.
Besides getting stronger, the biggest change I’ve seen is in my balance and range of motion, which are vastly improved.